To meet the criteria of eligibility for the Plaskett and Petry Awards, the Candidate has to be:
- a Canadian citizen;
- a visual artist in the field of painting;
- an MFA student in one of the following situations:
- who has been accepted into an MFA program;
- who is currently in an MFA program;
- who has graduated from an MFA program within the last 12 months.
- willing to live, travel, and create artwork in Europe (including UK) for a minimum of six months (Plaskett Award) or two months (Petry Award).
The Joe Plaskett and Nancy Petry Foundations are very flexible regarding when the stay in Europe will take place. Recipients may choose to take a leave of absence from their university, or they may defer the award for a year.