Deadline for submissions: TBD 2020
The application portal is now closed. Thank you to all who submitted applications!
To submit an application, you will need to Register an account with a valid email address to access the Application Portal. Once you complete the registration form, you will receive an email with a link that will allow you to enable your account and begin using the Application Portal. If you don’t receive an email, make sure to check your spam folder!
Note: Once you begin filling up your application in one language, please make sure to continue using the Application Portal in that language. If you switch to the other language, you will have to fill the forms again. Thank you for your understanding!
Criteria of Eligibility
To meet the criteria of eligibility for the Plaskett and Petry Awards, the Candidate has to be:
- a Canadian citizen;
- a visual artist in the field of painting;
- an MFA student in one of the following situations:
- who has been accepted into an MFA program;
- who is currently in an MFA program;
- who has graduated from an MFA program within the last 12 months.
- willing to live, travel, and create artwork in Europe (including UK) for a minimum of six months (Plaskett Award) or two months (Petry Award).
The Joe Plaskett and Nancy Petry Foundations are very flexible regarding when the stay in Europe will take place. Recipients may choose to take a leave of absence from their university, or they may defer the award for a year.
To complete your application, you will have to submit:
- a completed application form, with your contact information, your MFA information, and contact information for your MFA reference;
- a brief artist statement and a description of how you plan to use the Plaskett Award to develop your artistic practice;
- 15 images of recent works (from the past 3 years), including some general views (showing the scale of your work and how it relates to space) and detail views (showing the painting materiality);
- a letter confirming your MFA status;
- a letter of reference from:
- your MFA advisor; or an MFA faculty member who is familiar with your work (if currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a Canadian MFA program);
- an art professional who is familiar with your work, or an instructor from your BFA program (if accepted to an MFA program).
- Please see Reference Guidelines for more information.
- While the application portal can be viewed on portable devices such as smart phones and tablets, because documents and images must be submitted, it is recommended to use a laptop or desktop computer to fill in the application.
- If you are having trouble logging in and/or remaining logged in to the application portal, please make sure to enable Cookies in your browser and/or temporarily disable Private Browsing features in your browser.
- For the submission of your documents and images, a high-speed internet connection is preferable;
If you experience technical difficulties or require assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org we will get back to you as soon as possible.